Topic: Just started to learn

Hi all.

Sorry if my questions have been asked before, but only just joined and have not had time to scan through all past threads.  default/smile

I have been practising on my acoustic guitar for around a week or so. I did have a go at learning a couple of years ago, but drifted from it because of becoming a father etc.

I know the finger positions for a few chords, and I am practising tryiing to be able to hold them down without buzzing or muted strings.

Just wondered, how long roughly it takes for my fingers to stop hurting! I practice most evenings for around 40 mins, as I read somewhere that practising regular and often is better than a 3 hour stint at a time. (Dont know if that is correct?)

Also, can anyone recommend and websites/software to use for future lessons.

I have a copy of eguitar method, and Jamorama, (dont know if they are any good?) I guess a guitar teacher would be the best option, but finances etc.

I am a complete begginer here, so I am sorry if I am asking very basic stuff. default/mad

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Just started to learn

terraman wrote:

I have a copy of eguitar method, and Jamorama, (dont know if they are any good?) I guess a guitar teacher would be the best option, but finances etc.

I am teaching myself, with a bit of help from a friend, I find it more rewarding, and cheaper.

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Rich

No worries about asking any questions - everyone here is really happy to help out.

Regular and often is better than one long stint then leaving it a week for sure.

Your fingers shouldn't be hurting for too much longer! They will very quickly adapt and soon you won't feel anything!

A guitar teacher is a good way to learn as it helps ensure you are not picking up bad habits but the internet is full of amazing resources and there is no reason why you cannot do it yourself!

What are your primary aims, what kind of music are you into and then we can help and guide you a bit!

hi...loads of tutorials on youtube

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi all.

Thanks for the help with my questions.

I like a broad range of music and artists really, not really got favorite bands or anything, more favorite songs.

Although I do like Fleetwood Mac, the Beatles that sort of thing.

I guess my goal at the moment is to try to be good enough to play a few basic songs that people know at the moment.

I would love one day to be able to play a few of my favorites, albatross being one such song. But I know I am a long long way off being able to try to tackle something like that, if I ever do become good enough.

I have watched a few people peform it on YouTube, I am just in awe of them! default/smile  default/smile

Rich.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

we'll all help you as much as we can nice to meet you terra albatross is heavenly i like your taste i love peter green sooooo much  default/cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i am going to start doin webcam lessons to help yall out that need help to practise teaching for those interested  default/cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heres one for you Ian.

I want to learn a song that is fast but not rock, so i chose George Harrison's, Here Comes the Sun.

Do you fancy doing a video lesson on that? Or anyone else for that matter.

I don't have a capo so without a capo please.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bigiain wrote:

i am going to start doin webcam lessons to help yall out that need help to practise teaching for those interested  default/cool

Nice Iain, that will be really helpful to a lot of people!

i dont do songs with kapos     a i dont have a kapo      b  i hate kapos  pick something with out needing a kapo m8

Thumbs up Thumbs down

no point doin this without a kapo you wont be far of an octave below key how  bout some clapton or srv?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

k Clapton bad love.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

kl bud

Thumbs up Thumbs down

[youtube]/watch?v=jQaocR9wyIM[/youtube]

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

k james once you mastered that ill show you chords then solo bud hope you understand the glasgow accent  default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cheers Ian gonna get the ESP out and try to recored my attempt.

Thanks again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice one Iain - Your videos are really going to help a lot of people and cheers for the forum mention in the starter text!

np guys glad i can help  default/tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If I may comment:

You seem impatient in your teaching, and I hope people get something out if this.  You teach as if what you are teaching easy, and rush through it assuming people are going to understand you.  Well it might be easy for you, but for many it is not, and you tend to keep over playing, and, I must stress, that merely demonstrating this, is not the same as teaching.

Study the way Lick Library does this, and you'll see what I mean.  I think they are the best bar none when it comes to showing someone how to play a song Danny Gill in particular is the best.

Not everyone can teach man, but if this helps you learn to slow things way down, and spare a beginner from being overwhelmed with your frenetic teaching style, then it's only going to help you if teaching guitar is what you are after.

Best,

Instructor

http://rnbacademy.com

Online Guitar Academy

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Instructor wrote:

Study the way Lick Library does this, and you'll see what I mean.  I think they are the best bar none when it comes to showing someone how to play a song Danny Gill in particular is the best.

I must agree that Danny Gill is a fantastic player and teacher. I have a lot of his material that I found really useful.

However I find the fact that Iain has recorded this video ultra helpful as well. It is far better seeing someone play than, for example,  just looking at some tab that may or may not be correct!

Without speaking for him, I don't think that it is his intention to become a guitar teacher - more just sharing some of his knowledge to help others which I think he has done a top class job of!

iam a plumber gas fitter not a guitar teacher ill explain why i rushed it first one i uploaded to you tube was 20 minute long you tube didnt accept it was too long so yes i rushed through it a bit was only helping james out well i thought i was     my daughters the only person i teach shes 12  she loves orianthi  and queen lol and can play well for her age lick library is defo awsome but iam an ear guitar player if my ear cant get it ill tab it but ive done ok  james sorry if vid sucks

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No worries Ian its been very helpful, I will post a reply when me ESP has had its locking (or not) Floyd sorted.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thanks james it worth doing then m8 are u having trouble getting parts for your trem where are you from anyway uk?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am from Leeds. The trem won't take 10s and lock so it will have to go back to 9s f@~k@~g Floyd Rose.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Think I am gonna part ex the ESP for a gibson sg Nearly got the money stopped smocking, new year and been saving, may  be after my Exams in May.

Thumbs up Thumbs down