Topic: Effects

Might it be possible for guitar effects to be 'personalised' to individual strings? the effects unit would need to recognise the note(s) played and the string(s) played. Perhaps through string gauge. Is there already anything like this? I've tried working out how many combinations there would be with 6 strings and 6 effects. But I'm not confident with the Maths. 46,656?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Effects

With a good midi guitar controller you can assign each string different parameters ( sounds and effects )
...but each note that might be a bit tricky

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 (edited by jamesd74 04-06-11 10:13:51)

That idea is mental. What sort os sound would you get strumming a cord.

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

4 (edited by polyal 04-06-11 17:37:33)

if you set the e string to a bass sound the a string to say a brass sound the d string to an ethnic sound
sound the g string to percussion sound the b string to a piano sound and the e string to a woodwind sound
...then you can play all six instruments simultaneously using one guitar ...if you could assign each note to a different sound that means you could play hundreds of combinations of sounds simultaneously if you could play each note at the same time..but as you implied james you'd have to be fckin
mental..or would finish up..f. mental.....might be a good party piece though

perhaps woefully misspelt could give us an example ( respectfully )...how he would implement it
©polyal©

but hurry up because ...they're  coming to take you away haha

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Full orchester on one guitar, sound great.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

6 (edited by polyal 04-06-11 20:23:30)

if woefuls got his maths right ..what about a 46,656 piece orchestra on your SG

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ride the valkyries her i come.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for your replies.

I should say, first of all, that I'm not talking about MIDI. I'm talking about a guitar, effects unit and amplifier.

And the sounds? As an example, the first two strings with Overdrive, the third string with Loop and the remaining strings with Chorus. And, of course the guitar could be played in a more 'usual' manner.

The Maths? 6 to the power 6. Though I'm not sure of this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

you could probably invent a multiwound pu so each string would have its own o/p
and route them to different effects units...but i dont think ones been invented yet

when i say midi .. i mean a midi pu ( on a guitar ) which o/p's individual note information
which can be sent to processers for any sound you want..not just voices
[youtube]/watch?v=cVwM-3Duy8U&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I want one of them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

11 (edited by polyal 26-06-11 14:30:51)

extreme midi git
[youtube]/watch?v=v3M9sMmhsm0[/youtube]

all the string are 17's plain G's

Thumbs up Thumbs down

woefuly misspelt wrote:

Might it be possible for guitar effects to be 'personalised' to individual strings? the effects unit would need to recognise the note(s) played and the string(s) played. Perhaps through string gauge. Is there already anything like this? I've tried working out how many combinations there would be with 6 strings and 6 effects. But I'm not confident with the Maths. 46,656?

The tracking of guitar signal would have to be pretty damned sparky to not sound like a mushy mess.

Looking for a new guitar that suits your needs? Support your local guitar shop while its still in business!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

midi tracking has never been truly mastered for guitar unlike keyboards.you have to change your
technique to get anything musical its like learning a new instrument..one slight error and you
get your mushy mess

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Again. Thank you for your replies.

How about note-specific effects? 12 notes. 12 effects. Arranged in any order.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

USB KEYBOARD AND EDIROL, sounds like what your looking for.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

16 (edited by polyal 21-07-11 18:29:00)

woefuly misspelt wrote:

Again. Thank you for your replies.
How about note-specific effects? 12 notes. 12 effects. Arranged in any order.

i'll say one thing ..you dont give up ♪o♪

the best your going to get is 1 effect per string at any one time....and were back
to a midi guitar controller...there are no off the shelf gits ( as far as i know ) with
1 p/up per string or separate o/p per string?...just think a strat would have 18 p/ups

by the time you'd sorted it all out you'd have forgotten how to play

Thumbs up Thumbs down