1 (edited by jamesd74 07-08-11 23:48:26)

Topic: Which tube amp would buy.

With it been nearly student loan time,and plus I have been a good boy in the wifes eyes, its time to spend big on a amp.

The peavey vypyr has done its job to a certain degree, which was to help me decide on a amp. The one I am in favour of is the vox ac30, and a ibanez tube screamer in front of it.

Yet on a vox  clean setting its just has to much chime. Now the marshal plexi model on clean is perfect, yet on dirty even with the tube screamer its just not as rugged as the vox plus tube screamer.

Then I am across a forum review which said and was supported that  the vox ac30 does not take overdrive or distortion pedals well.  And on the vox site on a vid for a ac30 although it was the hybrid tube and modelling combo ac30vr, the bloke taking about it said  "it takes pedals well". So I thought he has said that because vox are known for not taken pedals well. Make sense?

Then on another forum I read that a good budget amp for delivering the classic British tones ( which was what the vypyr helped me find, the tone i was looking for was the British invasion tone) was the bugara 1990.  Then I read this are unreliable.

So I am lost and don't know which way to turn default/hmm . The peavey Windsor could be the dark horse. of this bunch.

Vox ac30c2
Marshal class 5 Head and cab
Peavey Windsor head and cab
Bugera 1990 head and cab (by far the cheapest)
Peavey vypye 120 head and cab ( hybrid of tubes and modelling, its the next one up from what I got, which is solid state modelling)
Vox night train 15 watt head and cab
Ibanez TSA15H 15W head and cab with built in tube screemer

I will almost certainly get a ibanez tube screamer.

So what would you do?

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Which tube amp would buy.

Clearly you are doing you research James though I cannot advise you.

Would be great to hear when you make your decision.

Why the certainty with the tubescreamer? I have never used one myself

On the vypyr, vox model with a tube screamer stomp model in front of it,  on a clean setting, its just out of this world, rugged but each string has defanition.

Even me pal likes it, which is very odd, because if it doesn't say fender, gibson, or marshal on it his nose goes right up. He use a fender twin , and has a soils state marshal, which he use's mainly with effects.

But we both agree the vypyr is just missing something, he claims its that good old tube sizzle and i sort of have to agree.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

all good blues guitarists have an ibanez tube screamer  on clean amp channel with reverb then hit that tube screamer when its solo time !!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No input, but will be interested to hear how you get on  default/smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

tube screamer plus fender twin amp = perfect sound

Thumbs up Thumbs down

stevie ray vaughan used a tube screamer

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So what amp does every body use?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've got the Spider Line IV30, which I sometimes use with the pocket pod, and also standard distortion pedal..  DO have a crybaby which would work well if I was skilled enough in its use combined with playing...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks Ap.

I still think it is gonna be the vox, its just got something I like. I have crossed the the marshal off it is too woffy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or should I pimp my peavey
http://s4.postimage.org/2r79o3omc/vhead20.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LOL - have you got the Vox now? Or are you still trying to decide...

By the way saw there is a guitar fair on at Rheged in Penrith on the bank holiday, could be worth a look

http://cumbria-guitarshow.co.uk/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, no vox yet I think I am gonna have to sound proof the cellar first.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That sounds like a mammoth task, but I guess when its done, you'll have a nice man cave to retreat too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

15 (edited by jamesd74 29-08-11 08:02:15)

Man cave yes.

Mid-life crisis room is what the wife is calling it.

Its under way just trying to dry it out, I had  water leek not so long back.  I have had to have permission of the council to remove the plaster, (or what's left of it) and to be fair I was expecting a right long winded afair but when I should the housing manager the photo's he said yer just do it but don't knock any walls down.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice one - although its not very good weather for drying (raining yet again!)

LOL - she says that know, but once you start disappearing into it...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ive thought about getting a tube screamer for years but couple of years ago a pal sold me his RAT pedal. I like it cos its so controllable......from pretty clean to ultimate shred. To those who know....is a Tubescreamer much better than Rat..or just different?  Jeff Beck used to swear by his RAT.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How's the man cave coming along?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Still waiting for it to dry out. First I had a burst water pipe in the celler and about a month ago a dranage pipe that runs down the side of the house split. This was in the back ro which I never go in it's to frightening, meaning I did not notice the leak till watercwas running out of the door.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Other then thatvall the Walls on the room I want to use are stript off and the electrics are done.

Thumbs up Thumbs down