Topic: technique

how important is it the learn the guitar  ' properly ' would you encourage a student
to play positionally or use his fingers willy nilly ie  'f*** the pinky i can reach with this finger '
imo this attitude stinks and any teacher endorsing this should be struck off

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: technique

Is there really a properly......Or is it whats best for you??????

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

in my opinion there is a ' properly '...there is always a proper way to do anything
any guitarist thats had lessons from a quality teacher with always use his pinky
especially if its from the word go..most self taught guitarist dont use their pinky
cause its ten times easier using their 3rd..so the bad habit develops
...you wont type 500 words a minute on a typewriter using 2 fingers ( old adage )

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK but I am self tought and use my pinky,,,not much and if Idon't have to I won't.

Its the demon finger default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think proper technique is really important.

I made the pinky mistake way back and it took years trying to correct when I realised I really did need it!

There are loads of other bad habits that are easy to get trapped into - a guitar teacher should identify these and encourage good technique from the start!

simple exercise..put your first finger at the 5th position on the E string ( A )..then play
A C B A# continuously as fast as you can without your pinky..then with your pinky ( keep your first finger on the 5th fret )
then do the same again but playing C# instead of C

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jamesd74 wrote:

OK but I am self tought and use my pinky,,,not much and if Idon't have to I won't

what does 'if i dont have to' mean??

is it deformed/broken/an embarrassment/ a funny colour/ or what????
your pinky is part of the team....dont be so cruel...get it involved..you know it makes sense
and you'll never regret it...if you can play fantastic without it...the you'd be a f***
megaunbelievable using it

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't play F with the pinky I play F in the C shape but up one.... I can't get the pinky out of bar chords but would if I could....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i dont quite understand your last post ie. the fingering etc
any chance of a rephrase

Thumbs up Thumbs down

James - you just have to train it. It takes a while but you can do it and it is definitely worth while. Just walk up the fretboard using each finger including your pinky. It will soon build up strength and become usable

I do try to practice with it.....it just a pain

Thumbs up Thumbs down

as olly says...labour..pain...joy

then after the kids...........

jamesd74 wrote:

I do try to practice with it.

keep it up...grit your teeth......in a few weeks time you will be pinky perfect
and never look back

prove to the newbees its the only way to play whatever your inspirations
your little finger is much bigger than you realise???????

(it can make your left hand 2" longer for starters)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

waffle waffle................grab an orange with your left hand...without you pinky....
if you can do that naturally then you dont need your little finger to play guitar

Thumbs up Thumbs down

YER gonna give the orange a try

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Having an instructor who plays properly helps out a lot. But the instructor needs to show and explain why this is the proper way to play it. All makes sense to a new comer over time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH NO THE PINKY THREAD default/sad  default/sad  default/sad  default/sad  default/sad  default/sad  default/sad  default/sad  default/sad  IS BACK

Thumbs up Thumbs down

James - train your pinky - you need it more than you think!  default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile

Does James have a pinky  default/big_smile  Maybe just on the right hand  default/cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yer I have a Pinky  THE DEMON FINGER...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have trained myself not to use the pinky and just go on with the other fingers and the strumming, but I guess that’s also another way in playing the guitar in a professional level. I could never have the patience to change my strumming method after all these years.

Wallpaper murals and kids wall stickers great for your children’s bedroom.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Welcome to the club of "NO to the Pinky"  Oren Jellow default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile

And welcome to the forum

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hi and welcome oren..as far as strumming is concerned i shoudn't think your pinky
would be an issue..??

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jamesd74 wrote:

Is there really a properly......Or is it whats best for you??????

Yes! Definitely! There is a proper way to do anything!

If I'm teaching a young child with smaller hands, I sometimes allow them to use different fingers- but I don't avoid the pinky finger. For example: if they find it difficult to stretch from the 2nd to the 4th fret, I will get them to do it with their 1st and 4th fingers if the 1st and 3rd is too much of a stretch.

Sometimes it's much more important to get them interested and playing at all. If they play while avoiding the pinky, then I'll definitely pick them up on it!

My Guitar Tuition website: http://www.ChainsawGuitarTuition.net

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doh there was I happy in my own world of my style of playing......But I do still think there is a case for what fits your playing style best, makes you a more comfortable and better player.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

the only excuse for not using your pinky would be   " I aven't got one "

Thumbs up Thumbs down