Topic: Guitar Strum Time Signature

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can find out what timing my guitar strum is in. I have scoured You Tube and the internet, but can only find demonstrations of different timings on the guitar and not how to work out the timing of a guitar strum.

My song is at 60bpm, it is a dum, do do - dum, do do 3 times on an Em and then a D at the end. It is very much like another song of mine which I was reliably informed was in 6/8 timing, so I presume this is the same. I know it sounds Waltzy but I'm having trouble programming the beats in on Propellerhead Reason when either in 3/4 or 6/8 timing. Don't know why. When I go dum (tish tish) dum (tish tish), let's presume the tish bits are a shaker, everytime I try to loop it on Reason and program that it, it loops back round too early at the end even though the grid I am drawing the beats / shaker into alter in accordance to the time signature, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8 etc.

Anyway, I will put an example on Soundcloud and the link below. I've put the bum tish bit on the 2nd half of the clip. I'm pretty certain I have the bpm right (60bpm). If anyone could tell me what timing this guitar strum is and could explain why it is and how you worked it out or link me to a site where it explains how to work guitar strum time signatures out, that would be fantastic.

https://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/guitar-loop

Thanks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down