Topic: Tuning

An idea. Perhaps I can be pointed towards albums where this has been done?

A 6-string electric guitar. The top 2 strings tuned to D and the remaining strings tuned to E. With Bottom E strings for all 6 strings. So, if the first 4 strings on one fret are held and all 6 strings played the result would be three 2-string power chords (I think).

Perhaps this is a set-up and tuning for someone who is not a guitarist.

Some careful filing at the nut would be required. The Bridge too?

Are there any dangers with this?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Tuning

No Idea.

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

woefuly misspelt wrote:

A 6-string electric guitar. The top 2 strings tuned to D and the remaining strings tuned to E. With Bottom E strings for all 6 strings. So, if the first 4 strings on one fret are held and all 6 strings played the result would be three 2-string power chords (I think).

There would be no dangers per se, and you'd probably have to do some work on the nut and the bridge, and make sure that all the strings were intonated, and that the truss rods had ample reinforcement. 

Nothing wrong with trying.

http://rnbacademy.com

Online Guitar Academy

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well I can now tune my Floyd Rose there is a set way to do it. Our this is on another thread.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

woefuly misspelt wrote:

Well, yeah! You'll never learn to play!  default/tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

woefuly misspelt wrote:

I was away when this went on, are you being serious?    default/roll
No you can't be, can you?   default/hmm

As Mikey says, you'll never learn to play, And of course it'll f*** up your guitar, the strain on the neck would be to much, you would never get the intonation correct, and finally, once you've filed your top nut and bridge saddles you should consider your guitar knackered.
the sensible thing to do is just string it up correctly and learn to play.   default/cool
http://s4.postimage.org/gwrkc0o4/bugs_01.gif

I didn't get where I am today,
by being somewhere else.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

of course Guitar Legend is right, but should we discourage creativity and lateral thinking? Oh well, yes you're right. This time we should. Sorry Woefuly Misspelt.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Talking of guitar tuning and I hope its not off thread, I'm tuning and setting up guitars fairly often and have taken up using the  'Frequency-counter / instrument-tuner' off the website  http://www.techmind.org/audio/. The free download is called "tuner12.exe".

When the guitar is plugged in to the microphone port on the computer you have a direct read out of the musical note frequency, and the name of the note and the percentage plus or minus error. This is ideal for simple tuning and also gives best setting position string length for the bridge adjusting yokes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

another excellent tuner
http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

Thumbs up Thumbs down

buy a guitar with a Floyd rose an excellent de-tuner they have yet to invent a method of how to tune with a Floyd.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

we've been here before.........i use ffloyds on two of my gits ...i dont use a trem...so they're both
locked with blocks to stop any rocking...once tuned the only thing that affects them is temperature
but with the fine tuners( so the machine heads are not disturbed ) and a good tuner ( esp boss tu 2/3 )re tune is fast accurate and rock solid

anybody who's git balances on  springs ( trem arm) ...thinks it will return to perfect tuning esp after dive bombing a few dozen times  is in cloud cuckoo land...if you dont use a trem get rid of the springs...if you do a ffloyds
the best option if set up right

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has any body tried to put 10s on a Floyd, I tried last night and they won't lock in the trem.

It did have 9s in it and they where fine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

13 (edited by polyal 23-03-11 19:54:24)

you need to modify your floyd with the new type loading screws...olly can advise you..as he did his
perhaps olly will reply when he reads this ♪♪

have a look
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-x-fast-loaders- … _500wt_843

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jamesd74 wrote:

Has any body tried to put 10s on a Floyd, I tried last night and they won't lock in the trem.

I have had 10s on my low pro trem with no problems

polyal wrote:

you need to modify your floyd with the new type loading screws...olly can advise you..as he did his
perhaps olly will reply when he reads this ♪♪

I completely forgot about these. I did buy them and I have them in my desk drawer at work!

The reason that I didn't rush to put them on is that the tubes the strings sit in seem rather long - like around 1 inch from memory, and I think that will look a bit odd on my guitar. I don't know why they make them so long?

But these would defo solve your issue James

they're a doddle..just push your string through..and off you go....easier than a strat trem

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks i will try to persevor.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

zr 2 trem  default/wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down