Topic: Recording vocals

I set up my condenser mic ready to record some vocals.

What I found is that the mic is so sensitive, it makes such a difference if you move even a fraction closer to it or further away so the recording isnot consistent in levels.

So I am assuming that I should be using a compressor as an input to smooth those levels?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

2 (edited by polyal 19-12-10 23:47:22)

Re: Recording vocals

dont use a compressor ...use a limiter to control the  ' overs '
"mike technique"( yawn ) is the thing...if your going to SHOUT back off ....if its a whisper move in
logical eh!

watch out for proximity ( nearer= more bass ) so for normal busy pop/rock tracks roll off the bass

ps you can use a compressor but vv liberally

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great - thanks for this. I think the limiter will help and also mic technique I can understand. I guess I just have to get more used to it.

Do you tend to use a dynamic or condenser for vocals? I am not too sure of the pros and cons of using either

4 (edited by polyal 21-12-10 11:24:55)

i always go for a condenser but the sm58 is a good dynamic..in fact there are loads of suitable
mics..google for interesting articles

re compressor: busy studios use compression ( top notch gear ) thats very transparent ..where
time is at a premium and good results are required quickly...but if you get a nice clean vocal first
( no reverb or echo and minimum eq'ing ) you can process it in any way afterwards

all ' in your face ' vocals depend on compression/ limiting..and not so much reverb
but you can do this to your clean vocal

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for this.

One thing I am confused about is regarding clipping - I assume that running the limiter will stop this from happening but I assume that this has to be run at the same time as recording as there is no way to repair it after it has clipped? Is this correct?

With reverb and eq, is it not the case that once you have recorded you can then remove that reverb and/or eq or tweak it to how you want? ie isn't cubase only recording the clean sound anyway and then applying the effect to it after?

6 (edited by polyal 21-12-10 13:00:36)

when you record set cubase record levels to just peaking with the loudest part of the vocal
..so shout a bit and make sure you dont go over.

then insert a com/limiter...to make sure if you do go over they will be suppressed
they use a brickwall limiter for this( google it )

you can add a tadge of compression ( to level the highs and lows[dynamics] )but not to much say<6db

yes you have to run the com/limiter while recording

you can use vst or external hardware if you got it

if your mic is dry ( no external reverb ) then you're ok
someimes people like to record with reverb ..but thats put onto the foldback mix ..its not recorded
onto a cubase track
[youtube]/watch?v=jARFT-sDLV0[/youtube]
[youtube]/watch?v=YL3OTVeyIsw&feature=channel[/youtube]

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is really great - thanks a lot

You can try a voice screen pop filter.They're very inexpensive.you can even make your own out of a coat hanger and a ladies nylon pantyhose stocking 

Olly wrote:

I set up my condenser mic ready to record some vocals.

What I found is that the mic is so sensitive, it makes such a difference if you move even a fraction closer to it or further away so the recording isnot consistent in levels.

So I am assuming that I should be using a compressor as an input to smooth those levels?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have  the nylon tights pop guard

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

10 (edited by polyal 30-05-12 22:07:42)

dont forget though.. you're supposed to sing into them ..not pull them over the top of your head
♪bob sha waddy ♪ waddy ♪

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has my bank been talking to you

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down