Topic: What guitar to get

Hi I'm 14 years old I'd say i'm not a profesional guitar but lets say an intemediate.
Anyway to the question. I'm looking at buying a new Guitar prefrably A heavy rock/metal guitar and had a look at these two and the reviews are really good but i dont know which one to get, can i have some help default/hmm  please. Here are the guiars The SCHECTER OMEN 6 And The IBANEZ RGABK42.There is a bit of a price differece but it dosent matter.  default/smile  default/smile

Thanks

Dom

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What guitar to get

Go for an ESP there great.

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Are They the Ibanez style ones? default/hmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jamesd74 wrote:

Go for an ESP there great.

If You don't mind me asking have you got an ESP? default/neutral

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, did have, sold it, so I could get a Gibson, but there are very well made guitars with some quality parts. However the only reason I sold it was it was very metal based in sound the ESP own brand pups are great if thats the sound you like. 

The overall feel of the guitar also was extremely impressive. The Floyd Rose was a twat to tune, but once it was there it stayed in tune nice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

6 (edited by jamesd74 17-04-11 13:38:56)

Dom wrote:

Are They the Ibanez style ones? default/hmm

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-s … eries.html

The sort of money your talking for the Ibanez You will get an ESP with active EMG pickups in.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've got an ESP - I really like it the but found the floyd rose a pain when wanting to play in different tunings, so I looked at the Schecter Omen, as I wanted a hardtail I could use for alternate tunings.
The Omen was ok, but when I tried the Damien I much preferred it, I was torn between the Solo6  and the Special - the only difference between the 2 were active or passive EMGs, I went for the slightly cheaper Special with the passives, and it is an amazing guitar, sounds really good (although I do wish I'd gone for the Solo 6 now).
I use the Damien most of the time now, and the ESP is kept in drop D.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Apache wrote:

and the ESP is kept in drop D

You are a Demon, drop D.

Do you play in other tunings?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jamesd74 wrote:

You are a Demon, drop D.

Do you play in other tunings?

LOL - yeah - I've done some stuff in drop C too, if I was doing more, I think the ESP would be put in C, as going from open to D with the hard tail isn't a biggie... whereas the C is a pain..

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jim Root plays in a drop B, I have give it a go but I can't get it sound right.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's the thing, a Floyd is death for alt tunings.  My first ESP I picked up in 88, had a Floyd and when Soundgarden came out with Badmotorfinger, in 92 there went that, I tore it out blocked it and installed a fixed bridge and never looked back.  To this day I dont want anything to do with a Floyd.  I have passed up incredible guitars simply because I wanted a fixed bridge.  I did all my FR stuff and got it out of my system, you might say!

Instructor

Apache wrote:

I've got an ESP - I really like it the but found the floyd rose a pain when wanting to play in different tunings, so I looked at the Schecter Omen, as I wanted a hardtail I could use for alternate tunings.
The Omen was ok, but when I tried the Damien I much preferred it, I was torn between the Solo6  and the Special - the only difference between the 2 were active or passive EMGs, I went for the slightly cheaper Special with the passives, and it is an amazing guitar, sounds really good (although I do wish I'd gone for the Solo 6 now).
I use the Damien most of the time now, and the ESP is kept in drop D.

http://rnbacademy.com

Online Guitar Academy

Thumbs up Thumbs down

jamesd74 wrote:

Jim Root plays in a drop B, I have give it a go but I can't get it sound right.

Not tried drop B yet (not come across any Rammstein that uses that  default/smile )

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Instructor wrote:

That's the thing, a Floyd is death for alt tunings.  My first ESP I picked up in 88, had a Floyd and when Soundgarden came out with Badmotorfinger, in 92 there went that, I tore it out blocked it and installed a fixed bridge and never looked back.  To this day I dont want anything to do with a Floyd.  I have passed up incredible guitars simply because I wanted a fixed bridge.  I did all my FR stuff and got it out of my system, you might say!

Instructor

Yep - can see were you are coming from on that! Never thought of getting it taken out and replaced with a fixed bridge... hmmm....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

you really cant beat a nice fender strat    i recommend for anyone for mixing up your tunings    ive got a cheap fender squire strat 100 uk pounds brand new got my daugter a pink one i was so impressed with it jumbo  frets to i got myself one in  artic white esps are good but imo ibanez is my fave the s series is fantastic  zr2 trem sean have you tryed a ibanez with the zr2 trem  if not m8 next time your in a guitar shop  give one a try it stays in tune forever i loved my edge 3 on my old ibanez s series and my floyd on a old washburn both sold now but in my opinion zr2 design is the future

Thumbs up Thumbs down

some people prefer the fixed bridges  less hassle and you concentrate more on the playng than toying around with floating trems  like me lol its a cool toy and can have alot of fun with them but if your into heavy metal/rock  its your duty to divebomb and satch squeels default/cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ive got a Schecter C-7 Blackjack with Blackout pickups. Its Korean but the quality and playability is superb. Ibanez are cool too but the quality seems to vary highly across the range top to bottom.

Looking for a new guitar that suits your needs? Support your local guitar shop while its still in business!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

crowhue wrote:

Ive got a Schecter C-7 Blackjack with Blackout pickups. Its Korean but the quality and playability is superb. Ibanez are cool too but the quality seems to vary highly across the range top to bottom.

well i tested a schecter 006 Deluxe in a music store and that was amazing  just the sound and feel default/big_smile
and the amp i used really was great thanks alot  default/wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bigiain wrote:

some people prefer the fixed bridges  less hassle and you concentrate more on the playng than toying around with floating trems  like me lol its a cool toy and can have alot of fun with them but if your into heavy metal/rock  its your duty to divebomb and satch squeels default/cool

The schecter omen 6 im think im going to get has a fixed bridge plus all the guitars i've had have had a fixed bridge Thanks alot mate default/cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ive never seen or tryed a schecter omen 6 i'll need to have a wee look next time iam in guitar shop  default/cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

if your into metal you'll need your floyd lots of you tube tutorials on how a floyd works how to adjust them etc floating trems take a bit of getting use to but for heavy metal/rock   id recommend keeping your  trem in  dont be shy in posting webcam vids or mp3  of you playing   default/cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

21 (edited by Dom 22-04-11 11:38:28)

Ye i'm into my metal/Heavy rock stuff great music. default/cool  I think I mite be tempted to get an Esp they look like great guitars. And are EMG PICKUPS any good? default/hmm  I've heard a lot about them but never heard any.

Thanks Guys !!!!!! default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think i mite get the Schecter Omen 6 and an ESP  LTD MH-50

Does anyone Know About This ESP?
Thanks Again Guys

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here are a couple of links of the guitars

ESP LTD MH-50  -------->  http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba … -Black/CSN

Schecter Omen 6 ------>  http://www.musicianscentre.com/schecter … white.html

Let me know what you guys think

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dom wrote:

Here are a couple of links of the guitars

ESP LTD MH-50  -------->  http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba … -Black/CSN

Schecter Omen 6 ------>  http://www.musicianscentre.com/schecter … white.html

The musicians center is where i bought my Peavey amp from and my samick there are really nice people.

Let me know what you guys think

Thumbs up Thumbs down

emgs nice for metal imo

Thumbs up Thumbs down