1 (edited by jamesd74 16-02-12 09:27:07)

Topic: What a day I have had

So we start this morning.

I was looking though ebay for some pick ups or my Samack RL. I think I should buy British as every man and his dog fits Seymour's. I stumble upon some Wilkinson's from a shop in ebay so decided to do a bit of research, then i stumbled across a site called whamster. Yet the Wilkinson pick ups on here where 4xs as much. So i put  together an Email asking why.

Next my phone rings as (I had filled out the registration form), the wife answers and brings the phone to me and says its Trev Wilkinson. I think yer right. Well fook me it was. He went into the reason they are so cheap on ebay and why his coast so much more. Chinese licensed model v Hand built Trev made.

Then we had 22 mins  on the phone after i placed my order and he offered to fit the pickups and set me guitar up, if I took it to him in south port.

He want into the history of the Broadcaster (telecaster) and how the skunk strip came about. Leo was against fitting a truss rod, Trev told me Leo could not play a note but he could bloody  hear one, and how he dis-liked the metal truss rod as it deadened the note and effected sustain. So his answer was to  fit a denser wood under the truss rod, (the skunk strip) in order to compensate.  Think denser means more in the same space, and the dence's wood Leo could find was walnut.

It was bloody great hearing an old tale about the Telecaster.

He went into telling me about caps and tone control. Trevs tip, if you don't use your tone control unwire it it makes your sound cleaner and brighter. And as for caps, modern ones sound better Trev tip, "only fit a paper n oil one if it gonna make you feel better".

Trev next bit of advice. If someone tells you pick ups effect sustain their talking from an exit only part of their body. Sustain is purely 100 % mechanical.

The afternoon.

Wife states you spending £100 on guitar parts then you can get decorating the living room. So off we go to Wilkinsons the shop not Trev. We buy wallpaper and what we think is matching paint. So I paint the ceiling white then its an hour and onto the walls. Well the colour the paint went  on the walls was noting like the colour on the tin it doesn't match the wall paper and looks like poo and mean poo. So I have got it all to paint again tomorrow.

Lucky me.

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What a day I have had

LOL - sounds like an incredible experience with the parts, nice one!  I'm not that far from Southport - did the guy have a shop there?

Decorating... not so good... even worse to do it twice....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 (edited by jamesd74 23-02-12 23:03:48)

Re: What a day I have had

Yer he claims to build Fret King green label there...

And the best bit about that day I did my self a right back injury and I am under an ostiopath and on some wicked pain killers.

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down