Topic: Advice on Fender guitars and amps

Hi all - I am looking for some expert advice!

I really want to start playing the electric guitar but I don't know how to get started...

I was thinking about buying one of these Fender guitars - which one would be better for a beginner? 

I was aslo reading this  Champion 600's review... It seems to be a great amp, but I was wondering what  other people think about it.

Any advice??

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Advice on Fender guitars and amps

My advice for a new player would always be to not go overboard with your first guitar.

Many people make the mistake of spending a lot on a first guitar, they then do not get on with it and subsequently do not continue with learning.

I think there are many decent value packs out there that allow you to start the electric guitar at a low cost. If you then enjoy it, this is the time to save up and splash out on something more decent.

thanks for the advice! 

I was planning on spending around $800 for both the guitar and the amp, but I don't mind spending more if I find something I really like. Do you think that is a good range? I am really committed, and I know that I will use it a lot. There are so many choices though, and I feel a little overwhelmed!

I know that I shouldn't choose just by the brand, but so many people have told me that Fender is the best and so I really want one (good marketing on their part I guess!)

As far as the type of music I want to play, I want to try some kind of blues /  rock sound...like Eric Clapton

So, that being said - any other ideas? default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well I think that your budget is enough to buy a good quality instrument.

The only thing when you buy brands is that you can end up paying a lot for the name  - as in you could get a low end fender of a high end lesser known name for the the same. I would choose the highest specs I could afford as ultimately the name does not make an excellent guitar - quality does.

That being said, the Fender are a good guitar and would suit all blues rock like Clapton and Hendrix etc

The best thing to do before you spend that amount of money is to get down to a guitar store and test some out - see and feel the differences between lower end and higher spec guitar  - have a play and see what they sound like -(through the amp you intend to buy of course as this makes a lot of difference)

Also it is worth considering the second hand market as well. I personally have always found with a new guitar, it takes about a year of playing it before it turns into a really good instrument. Buying secondhand this transformation will have already occurred so you get an immediate feel for how the instrument plays.

Anyhow - good luck with your purchase - I am sure you will find the guitar that suits you best!

The only thing when you buy brands is that you can end up paying a lot for the name  - as in you could get a low end fender of a high end lesser known name for the the same. I would choose the highest specs I could afford as ultimately the name does not make an excellent guitar - quality does.

I toltally agree with Olly about that... And as he said, try some different model in store... take your time !!

But, I disagree about buying second hand guitar. If you are a beginner, and don't know a lot about guitar, I suggest buying NEW... Warranty are not "transferable" they are valid only for the first guitar owner... and there is a lot of thing to check when buying used: neck angle, fret position etc etc etc....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually I accept your point and will go with you on that - there is a lot that can be wrong with a second hand guitar that a new guitarist could not spot - true it may be cheaper than new but it could turn out to become very expensive if there are any faults.

thanks for picking that one up!

But if peachy as some friends that know a a little about guitars setting and adjustement, he can go check out used one with them... buzzing string, non-fonction pick-up etc etc  are pretty unfun when you just buy an used guitar and want to enjoy it !! An new one, you have the warranty.

And for used guitar, it is preferable if you know the previous owner. Did he take care of his stuff ?? Some guitars have been beat up !! This can mean extra expenses !!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

thanks! I really like this site, you are all really helpful default/smile

I'm going to look around and see what my second hand options are too...

I'll let you know what I end up with!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, starting out with electric guitar is very easy. What you don't know before starting out?
For a beginner Fender G-DEC Digital Entertainment Center Guitar are the best. You can buy this online also.
Yeah, Champion 600's review...  seems to me also a great amp.

Thumbs up Thumbs down