Topic: Playing a chord progressions or Making Music?

There is a difference between someone who can play a chord progression and someone who can make music. Just simply getting the chords right does not mean that you are successful in making music.

In my mind, the most important aspect of turning a chord progression into lovely flowing music is to get the chord changes in perfect time.

Secondly I would maintain consistency with the rhythm playing i.e. didn’t strum one chord 5 times and the next only 3 - try and create a repeated pattern with only small variations.

Next important is the ability to create a unique rhythm. Bring out some emotion to what you are playing. If you were doing the above two points correctly then I would say it should come pretty natural.

Finally - be aware of the picking hand. It is important to understand that you can, if you choose, emphasise certain notes of a chord and vary this throughout each chord. This makes it interesting to the listener. Remember also that hitting the string hard has a massive difference to hitting the string softly. Positioning of the picking hand - nearer the neck is different to picking close to the bridge. Again vary this but try to keep consistency throughout the whole progression.

If you do the above, your chord progressions will sound like music rather than just playing guitar. In my opinion this is a large step forward if you complete it. I think these achievement of these points define a guitarist to a great guitarist.

Re: Playing a chord progressions or Making Music?

I only like to play my own music! I really enjoy make music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEKFPWn1GI

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I teach a beginner guitar elective in high school one period. During testing preparation, I have to visit with the freshmen, 22 at a time, for a 45 minute session to plug my guitar class. I am a barely average guitar player. I don't have enough guitars to go around for that many, and I wouldn't want some of these clowns to touch them anyway. I can do a great recruiting presentation in 10-15 minutes, but how can I fill 45 minutes without losing my audience?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

marena wrote:

I teach a beginner guitar elective in high school one period. During testing preparation, I have to visit with the freshmen, 22 at a time, for a 45 minute session to plug my guitar class. I am a barely average guitar player. I don't have enough guitars to go around for that many, and I wouldn't want some of these clowns to touch them anyway. I can do a great recruiting presentation in 10-15 minutes, but how can I fill 45 minutes without losing my audience?

dont teach till you can play your conning the kids

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Olly wrote:

In my mind, the most important aspect of turning a chord progression into lovely flowing music is to get the chord changes in perfect time.

+1

Rhythm is so important and very often overlooked! Just like in comedy, timing is everything.

I'm not just talking about being "in time" either, but sometimes the way you phrase something is more important that the actual notes that you play. Why do you think there are so many songs that just use the minor pentatonic? They don't all sound the same because of the rhythm, timing and phrasing of the notes.

My Guitar Tuition website: http://www.ChainsawGuitarTuition.net

Thumbs up Thumbs down