Topic: What is causing this?

My custom made guitar is causing me a few issues.

I put some lighter strings on it and tuned up and everything seemed ok. However changing chords some notes are really out of tune.

So what could be causing this and how do I go about sorting it?

Re: What is causing this?

Does it have a floyd rose that needs the tension adjusting at the back to compensate for the lighter strings?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yer good point....

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nope this is an acoustic guitar (sorry should have mentioned) so no floating trem here -

Olly wrote:

My custom made guitar is causing me a few issues.

I put some lighter strings on it and tuned up and everything seemed ok. However changing chords some notes are really out of tune.

So what could be causing this and how do I go about sorting it?

Hi Olly, almost certainly the truss rod would need adjustment if you've gone a lot lighter, best to get the builder to check it out, or it could be the nut, good luck,

http://s14.postimage.org/50huozqbx/specs.jpg

I didn't get where I am today,
by being somewhere else.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ideally every guitar should have a zero fret..but they have'nt..so as alun says..check
the relief in the neck ( curvature )then make sure the height of the break point from the nut over
the first fret is about as high as the clearance over the second fret when stopping the first string.
( usually the prob is the strings too high when leaving the nut ) hope this makes sense
...and to go harping on check out the earvana system..esp with light strings

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok thanks. I think I better leave it to the expert and take it back for him to adjust.

If I changed to the Earvana system how easy is it to change the nut? It looks like it must be glued in place so no obvious easy way to remove?

if you're not into DIY then you need it done by a tech....to modify the string  heights you need the
appropriate files ...so again its a job for a git tech...its not difficult you just need the proper tools
and a bit of care

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think there's much you can do.. Get a new guitar.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

any half decent guitar can be setup with the proper tools and knowhow
most new guitars always seem to be in need of a bit of TLC in any case.Theres loads
of info on youtube for most guitar issues..but...neck relief/intonation/action/nut break point
height/good strings/removing string slack at the machine head ( by pulling or vigorous bending ) a new/restrung string, should usually be enough..if it isn't browse youtube..and if that still isn't enough then next time you buy a git make sure its absolutely perfect beforeyou part with your spondulicks..making sure you always use the same gauge strings..keep the guit in exactly the same  humidity and STP ( standard tempreature and pressure at sea level )...if you dont you might have to go and buy another new guitar

ps always tune a string ' up ' to pitch never down..and always' pull ' the slack out of  the machine head before tuning up

Thumbs up Thumbs down

chegooera wrote:

I don't think there's much you can do.. Get a new guitar.

WOW are you a millionare...

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down