Topic: make it your own

when people say ( esp so called music experts / talent show judges )..'you made that
song your own'...do they mean...you cant emulate the original cause your not  good
enough...you cant be arsed to learn the proper version...or you've stolen the copyright so tough
shit .... or is it something else ??

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: make it your own

I don't understand the comment either......to me making a song your own is what BB King did with the Thrill is Gone....Examples below..

The original

[youtube]/watch?v=vr2ZUJPonF8[/youtube]

BB King "making the song is own"

[youtube]/watch?v=BPlsqo2bk2M&feature=related[/youtube]

In a Nutshell....Taking a Song and putting your own twist on it.....

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i would class that as doing his own version of the song ( albeit a very good version )...
if chuck berry did it ...it would be different again...but only his version
they would still be cover versions...so why do they say to some artists
' you made that your own '...as opposed to other artists.. even though
the've done completely original versions
if bb king had made a complete bodge of it.. would people still say he made it his own??
who coined the expression in the first place...simon cowell maybe

if somebody ' makes a song their own ' does that mean nobody else can of that particular
song esp if its at the same gig ( does happen )

Thumbs up Thumbs down

polyal wrote:

if bb king had made a complete bodge of it.. would people still say he made it his own??

No I think it would pass into the Abbess of musical cock-ups........

I think the phrase was probably coined by the producer that produced Robson and Jerome when recording unchained melody ... In turn that was overheard by Mr Cowell himself....Whom thought....Good motivating words...I shall use them...

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

what they really mean is....' put your own spin on it ' ( the in phrase for.. did your own version )  coined on x factor this weekend
...so thats official???

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think "put you own  spin on it" is the correct term.

There are loads of amazing songs out there that I prefer the covered version. A typical example is Knocking on Heavens Door - I would never have liked the original as much as I like the GnR version - the melody is the same, the lyrics are the same which goes to show that a song is more than just a good melody and good lyrics.

I think put your own spin on it, is often said by talent judges as they are so used to only doing cover versions themselves, and have no tangible talent except coining stupid phrases to make themselves sound as if they know what  they are talking about.
But if to make the song your own from talented people, i would say that the person who made a song better than the original, would be With a Little Help From my Friends by Joe Cocker.Anyone that can make a song by the beatles, more famous than their version has got to be good

Thumbs up Thumbs down

whether a song is ' better ' is very subjective...its still a cover
and in cockers case its a completely different version to the beatles
ringo was never a singer to start with ..but it will always be the classic version
because its the original
you can always rely on cocker to ' do his own thing ' though on any cover he does
plus his own stuff will never be 'topped' no matter who covers him
for me ..the original can never be topped ( even if played by better musicians/singers )IMO
the only exception would be perhaps..if the cover was taken from a LP
and was never aired much in the first place by the original artist

Thumbs up Thumbs down

9 (edited by Gavin 21-03-13 20:18:52)

Of course it is all subjective, and Woodstock and The Wonder Years TV theme tune helped make Joe cocker`s version more famous than the Beatles.It was years later after seeing Woodstock that i realised it was The Beatles who had the original.  Joe Cocker`s performance at Woodstock was totally awesome to me, and still can`t be matched for the raw power of his voice  .That is why i say, if there was such a thing as making it your own,as it is so different, i would say that this song would be the closest to it.But as you say, a cover, is a cover, no matter how much better, or worse than the original.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yeh i think its the first version you hear that you latch onto thats
going to be your favourite no matter what the history of the song is

what would you say the best version of ' something in the way she moves ' is
harrison's demo is amazing...one git that sounds more like a banjo
shirly bassie shines through as well..one a demo..the other a full blown
production..there you go ..you cant beat a bloody good tune
[youtube]/watch?v=pVZSOzQnf_o[/youtube]

Thumbs up Thumbs down