1 (edited by watermelon john 12-01-13 12:26:25)

Topic: What makes a name brand guitar "brand name"

I often wonder about that question. When I was a kid, it was Sivertone, Fender, Gibson, Martin, Guild, Kay and Epiphone. At least that is what I recall. So now I hitting into retirement age and these guitar to me are still  "brand name" or even maybe "American icon" guitars.

If you are of a  younger generation, what guitars now that you feel are brand names guitars these days. No matter how hard I try to believe "Ibanez" is a name brand, it just doesn't click with me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What makes a name brand guitar "brand name"

what about HOFNER/BURNS/HARMONY/HAYMAN/FRAMUS(i think some of these are defunct now ) ...These are all ' brands ' as opposed to the chinese ' git makers' that just churn out generic copies
i suppose a brand name is a bit like ' a designer label ' or an 'household name'
never heard of sivertone though

ps does anybody want to buy a 1973 hayman 2020..never been played and as rare as a playable chinese copy of an unbranded tiawan banjo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gu … ufacturers

a good question is : what did hank marvin play ( brand ) before mr richards imported him a red strat?
...and its not in the list

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What makes a name brand guitar "brand name"

I don't know...I am truth be known a Greg Bennit man....Made in Korea not really bothered about brand names it what I fell comfortable playing

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down