left handed v guitar playing

the senario

experienced guitar player to wanabee "do you want a go of my guitar" ....no
ive got no chance im left handed.....well you use your left hand to do all the
tricky bits.........yes but all right handed guitarists use there left hand
to do all the tricky bits so if im left handed i need to use my right hand
yes ? the end

left handed guitaring is illogical
but there again why do right handed people play the guitar with there left hands(tricky bits)
can somebody explain why we have left handed guitars

please respond to this thread with sensible comments
im all ears(left and right)

al saunders
uk

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: left handed guitars

That is an interesting point and an issue that confused me a lot when I first started playing.

I think both hands have equal importance and I would think that even as righty, if I trained myself to play a left handed guitar from the beginning I would think that I could play equally well - possibly not though - who knows?

I guess as a right handed player you are relying on your hand a little more to perform better. After all small details like picking hard or softly, how you angle the pick etc - the whammy bar if applicable and controls such as volume tone and pickups selectors all need to be controlled by your strongest hand. ultimately the picking hand only needs to get to the fret on time, albeit quickly at times!

The main point is that it counts a lot on which you have taught yourself to play. It is no good someone who has trained themselves on a left handed guitar, then being passed a right handed guitar and expected to play. I'm certain it would feel like playing your first chord all over again!

Be interested to hear anyone else's comments on this one