Topic: Bass guitars

Hello.
I am looking at learning how to play a Bass guitar.I have borrowed a freinds guitar but will need to get one soon.The guitar i have borrowed is a Danelectro Longhorn.I don`t like the look of it, but it sounds ok.
Anyway, the real question is which guitar.I am probably looking for a secondhand one, and was drawn to Warwick guitars.Would anyone recommend them, as it looks like i can get a decent one for around £300 and should get my money back if i want to resell it. If noone would recommend one, is there an alternative please?

Thanks
Gavin

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Bass guitars

Hope i have done the right thing. I have no idea if ut is good, although they seem to get good reviews.They sell new for £700,so fingers crossed i haven`t bought a bad guitar.Just got to wait for it to be delivered
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Rockb … &rt=nc

Thumbs up Thumbs down

same as guitars..any half decent bass can be set up and play as well as the next
i have an ' axeman ' probably made in outer mongolia..but its set up and feels as
good as anything else i've  tried...i think every git player should learn how to set up
a guitar ....action , intonation  neck relief and nut break height  being the most important
as far as sound is concerned this is very subjective but a bit of nob twiddling and effects
etc can usually sort things out

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I believe like Poly its not the name on the head stock....

I think its how the guitar makes you feel....A good set up as mentioned can make a major difference to any guitar regardless of cost or make....

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for the replies.
I realise that names don`t mean everything, i had never heard of Warwick until a few days ago. I went on reviews more than anything. I have an Ibanez guitar, (can`t play it) so that was what i was originally looking for, but the Warwick seemed better value for the money than a similar Ibanez
I guess the setup is just starting to get used to the guitar and playing with the settings as you go, or is there a formula to it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

there is an optimum way to set a guitar up.. the only variable would be the action
( height of strings ) some people like a higher action esp on acoustics ..this gives
a fuller sound. electrics and basses usually have as low an action as possible ( but not too low )
so aiding faster and easier playing ( if the action is too low you will get fret buzz and rattle etc )
but its all down to preferences
string gauges also need to be considered ( lighter for electrics / heavier for acoustics )
i find '10's guage a good all rounder but there again its preferences
pick up heights are not that critical
there are several youtube vids on git setups
[youtube]/watch?v=Hb2YiJXtguw[/youtube]

Thumbs up Thumbs down