Re: Which Guitar?

Arr good mis understanding sorted......

Serious Chris stick around cause poly is a knowledgeable lad..And i will always  help...

right now thats sorted i am off to bed...

just finished off my first rounds of exams..

This law degree will be the death of me...

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

in a nutshell ...do you want to learn to play the guitar properly...
or do you want to bodge your way to  learning this or maybe that..and playing it
like this or maybe that

self taught musicians lack what profession teachers can offer them

so get smart and get educated ...sod the bravado!!

ps  i am not a music teacher

Thumbs up Thumbs down

eg:
i've got a great song here

so you put you first finger here ..or is it the second finger no its my thumb ...sorry my
pinkie...ok ...so now i put my pinkie there ..GOD FORBID YOU CAN PUT MY THIRD FINGER THERE ...OR MAYBE  MY SECOND FINGER

BLIMEY I'M playing like  bb whats is name

ROCK ON 

or..get smart

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The fact is  some people don't want lessons can't afford them, or they might just like  a challenge then enjoy the feeling of achievement....

And Hendrix never had lessons..and he could play..... just a bit.....

in fact lets get purple haze posted

[youtube]/watch?v=gjMuKP1GpLY[/youtube]

Thumbs up Thumbs down

he never had lessons on how to tune up...thats why they sacked the in tune bass player

Thumbs up Thumbs down

polyal

I have taught myself everything in life, whether it's how to fix cars and bikes, my self taught degree, harmonica or woodwork. I do all of it to a high degree. Educating yourself doesn't always end in disaster, it actually suits some people a lot better than traditional methods. As far as I'm aware Eric Clapton didn't have lessons.

If in 6 months I'm struggling then yeah I'll seek out a teacher. Its not about bravado, it's about preference. Seriously can't we agree to disagree instead of you just continually being on the attack? Man if this is what goes on with the forum then i'll just go somewhere a little more friendly. Disagreements are fine, in fact they're healthy but you gotta let it go sometimes. I've heard you, thanks for the advice, on balance I've decided against it. I may end up regretting that, it's a part of life.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The only reason i suggested lessons, is because you had a £500 budget, which would get you a decent guitar, amp and money left over for lessons. Plus from a personal perspective, i am  easily distracted, so a teacher has given me focus and direction. I was lucky, as i have a freind who goes to him and is getting on really well, so it was easy for me to get a good teacher.
If you want to learn yourself, just a suggestion,maybe a decent £10 book would be a good start before you go the youtube route.I am sure there are some great tutorials, but i wouldn`t know which are good or bad.
  Anyway, good luck with playing, and i look forward to see how you progress, especially if self taught.
Also i agree with Polyal about keyboards.The written word can be easily misconstrued.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yer keyboards are a problem........

Regarding lessons I think we should just leave it that subjective, some agree some don't

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very true James. Plus Chris seems to be focused on what he wants to achieve as he has self taught on lots of different things, so i guess teaching yourself guitar should be within the scope of someone as capable as him.
Wish i had the dedication and concentration to do all the things that he has done default/smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

35 (edited by jamesd74 30-03-13 17:40:10)

Right boys an end to this fruit less discussion......

GO BUY ROCKSMITH  Its a tutor its self learning...........

[youtube]/watch?v=MJFHPD5R8y0[/youtube]

I have it and trust me its very good......

Next week some time I will try to record myself doing a queen track.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gavin wrote:

Very true James. Plus Chris seems to be focused on what he wants to achieve as he has self taught on lots of different things, so i guess teaching yourself guitar should be within the scope of someone as capable as him.
Wish i had the dedication and concentration to do all the things that he has done default/smile

Sorry if I sounded like a prick but was just responding to someone and trying to prove a point.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

37 (edited by ChrisD 30-03-13 22:43:14)

jamesd74 wrote:

Right boys an end to this fruit less discussion......

GO BUY ROCKSMITH  Its a tutor its self learning...........

I have it and trust me its very good......

Next week some time I will try to record myself doing a queen track.....

James this looks great! It's the exact kind of learning tool I'm looking for, thank you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

when you buy a guitar you need advice off an experienced git player ...else you might finish up with a pile of sh!te..and would you know if it was or not....in a word 'NO'

when you start to learn guitar you need someone to point you in the right direction ie how to play
correctly....a teacher is not for life ..i had 3 lessons and it was the best bit of cash i ever spent

the ' self taught ' is not an option...if you buy a guitar tuition prog then you'er not self taught any more

whether you get a teacher or a prog thats your choice ..but dont try to teach yourself because you haven't  got the know how

thats why music teachers ( progs?) are so valuable

Thumbs up Thumbs down

RE:rocksmith...anybody using it

BEST OF LUCK

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Poly give it a F****** rest..

People can learn anyway they want..

Your way ain't wrong, self taught ain't wrong is all down to the individual...

Christ get over it...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

41 (edited by ChrisD 31-03-13 07:14:32)

polyal wrote:

the ' self taught ' is not an option...if you buy a guitar tuition prog then you'er not self taught any more

I think you need to learn a little more about being self taught. The definition can include using things like books. It means you learn without direct instruction from another person, it's self directed learning. The above computer program gives some direction but you can chop and choose, go back to techniques you find difficult, practice scales when you want and all of that kind of thing. I wouldn't use that program in isolation.

If you don't agree then fine, I have heard what you have said, how about you just leave me to my own devices? Agree to disagree, you know, like an adult.

Eric Clapton is self taught, so it shows it can be done.

I am just looking up the syllabus for grade 1 guitar, that gives me plenty of direction.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

all i can say to certain people is...next time you want to know something....GO AND FIND A
( --------- ) BOOK ON IT

Thumbs up Thumbs down

good  default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile now that's sorted can we go back to been a happy forum? default/big_smile  default/big_smile  default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Welcome to the forum Chris. Best of luck with your learning. We will be happy to help you along the way should you need it!

Many valid points in this thread.

In my opinion you can teach yourself via the massive amount of resources in books, online, rocksmith etc.

What they cannot help with is bad habits, poor technique etc. So either getting a one to one tutor or playing with other musicians to help guide you is really important!

I picked up many bad habits along the way and they can be hard to train yourself out of!

Olly

45 (edited by Gavin 31-03-13 12:41:04)

ChrisD wrote:
Gavin wrote:

Sorry if I sounded like a prick but was just responding to someone and trying to prove a point.

No, you are far from sounding a prick Chris.I am genuinly impressed by what you have taught yourself so far.It is very possible to learn anything on your own if you have the confidence and self motivation that you have.
On the Rocksmith side, it is a good programme.It will teach you how to play the song, but it won`t teach you how to play a song that is not included.I think it is a good aid to teaching, just not on it`s own.It is very addictive and impressive though, as it can even detect if you have a bum note, or perfect timing.For £40 or so, i would recommend it.I love it

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty Schwartz on you tube very good for beginners acoustic n electric

Thumbs up Thumbs down