Topic: Age and dexterity

As I wrote in my introduction to this forum, I started playing the guitar and reading music in 1959 when I was 11, played in school bands and carried a guitar until the mid-70s when I stopped playing. For my birthday in 1998, the family gifted me an Ibanez acoustic dreadnaught. Due to a serious illness that lasted a couple of years, I didn't play. I'm 72 and have spent the last few months trying to play.

I can read the music and know every note on the fretboard. I can't seem to get the fingers around to play the C G E7 and similar chords. Been trying all the dexterity exercises and stretching. Also, with age, a person "shrinks". I was 5' 9-1/2 for most of my life. I'm now 5' 8-1/4 (seriously). Probably due to the illness. Nevertheless, it has been suggested I ditch the dreadnaught for a small guitar.

Any thoughts? Are there others who experienced similar issues? Any recommendations? Thanks for reading this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Age and dexterity

everybody shrinks with age its something to do with the cartilage between the bones
as far as playing chords.. try dropping your elbow further under the fretboard so you arm
gets to more of a right angle to it.. your fingers will then be able to access the frets better

Thumbs up Thumbs down