Topic: Picking, noises, and elimination.

Hi there, the names Lewis, and im 17 years of age. I've been playing since i was 14 going on 15.

So im not exactly a new guitarist, but i still have a lot of questions about playing.

I have been playing 2-3 years and never once have i had a teacher, this is something i would like but with lack of money and even less support ive never been able to afford one.

Anyway, my question is this:

How do i eliminate picking noises? That constant scratching noise whenever you pick a higher pitched note?

Out of all my friends who play guitar, i've always been told im the best and some of them have been playing twice the amount of time i have. But theres one thing i always feel is holding me back (and by that i mean, the noises are the first thing a non-guitarist comments on) Whenever i play a solo or harmony, whether it be fast or slow, picking noises seem to flood what im playing.

I do know that it isn't just me because my friends sound no better either.
And i also know if i turn gain (or in my case drive) down to 1-3 then these noises are pretty non-existant, but so is the note.

Im not sure whether its how i hold the pick, or the pick i use (dunlop .88 ) or at what angle the pick makes contact with the string.

Any help, or information would be much appreciated, thanks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2 (edited by polyal 21-07-10 22:36:51)

Re: Picking, noises, and elimination.

this is a minefield... but try a thicker plec( > 1mm ) and strike the string with the plec parallel to the string(longitude)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 (edited by aussieteacherPMMD 22-07-10 00:22:46)

Re: Picking, noises, and elimination.

If you are playing directly over the pick-ups the noise is more noticeable, so moving your right hand position slightly is one option- also the more vertical your pic is the less pic noise is transmitted, playing flatter increases it... and possibly the best option is to move to coated strings, such as Elixers.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down