Topic: If you could choose between "songwriter" or "guitar player"

What would you choose?
Because I never really felt a ease with my guitar playing, I kind of found my comfort zone in writing songs. So these days I strum a bit and write my own tunes. And I'm quite happy doing it too!

my lyrics, my guitar and my imagination

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: If you could choose between "songwriter" or "guitar player"

When I first started working hard on the guitar I assumed that I couldn't really write songs because my guitar wasn't up to scratch,. Of course, I now know that this was not correct.

I admire the technically great guitarists(Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert etc) and I like their music but I wonder if I would like them so much  if I wasn't a guitar player. I certainly would still like music so I would say I would prefer to be a super songwriter and an ok guitarists rather than the other way round.

Re: If you could choose between "songwriter" or "guitar player"

Olly wrote:

When I first started working hard on the guitar I assumed that I couldn't really write songs because my guitar wasn't up to scratch,. Of course, I now know that this was not correct.

I admire the technically great guitarists(Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert etc) and I like their music but I wonder if I would like them so much  if I wasn't a guitar player. I certainly would still like music so I would say I would prefer to be a super songwriter and an ok guitarists rather than the other way round.

Olly, I thought your answer was interesting. I think as we get older we understand what Bon Jovi said "Learn to write songs". There is a lot of truth to that.

my lyrics, my guitar and my imagination

Thumbs up Thumbs down