Topic: My first go at MIDI

Ok this is very poor but I am going to post it anyhow

I tonight laid down my first ever midi on the drums and bass guitar.

[mp3]/uploads/d9cda9ae4e6b4ec2924613fbfa934dc3.mp3[/mp3]

Very basic but a start...

Re: My first go at MIDI

sounded very good to me  default/smile

my lyrics, my guitar and my imagination

Thumbs up Thumbs down

rock on thats really good ..give that to a good vocalist and youve got the start of a good song
thats the intro and verse say...move to F now  for a chorus or ???? use your guitar to find a
lift for the chorus when you know where its moving to ...use midi to lay your bass and drums for the foundation for the next part of your song

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have many more ideas for something better than this. Initially I was going to try and just lay down the repeating C bass and give examples of the different modes over the top of it. However, last night I ran out of time and just did that little improv!

@Polyal - I found the bass a bit uninspiring to be honest. I had the same when I plugged in my bass guitar also. As a non bass guitar player I am wondering if maybe I should be using some effects to beef it up? I currently am using this for the bass:

http://www.yohng.com/bass.html

It sounds as good as recording my bass guitar into my audio interface except with this I can play the bass line on the keyboard, edit it, move it, copy it etc so I am pleased with this versatility  but need something so make it sound more like a bass! - any tips or recommendations?

I'm hoping to get a few free hours this evening to get back onto cubase and get some other music down!

5 (edited by polyal 14-09-10 15:07:48)

ive found the 4 front bass not to bad for my style which is a lot lighter than yours..there are some great
bass plugs around you need to experiment to get the sound you want..i.play bass guitar but i always finish
up using a plug..i also use a sampler ( software ) to play back bass samples i have done in the past..so
get a real good bass sound on your bass guitar...sample every other note starting at low E upto say octave A and commit it to a sampler..you'll then have your bass on tap each time ( without having to worry about recording it at each session ) to input via the keyboard with all the luxuries of midi
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Shortcircuit/
this prog is medium learning..but you can play any samples back with it..i also use it for custom bass drums/snares/toms etc.....and its zero dosh
directwave is another good wav sampler but thats not free

you can do all your sampling and sample editing ie normallising / compressing etc in cubase..so you can get a dog bllx sound before you commit it to the sampler..once you've set it up you can save it as an instrument
to load at will

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Excellent - thanks for this! I will check out some other bass plugins and see if they fit more with me.

Sampling is another thing that I have never even considered doing before. I can see a whole new world of learning opening up at the moment.

Cheers for the advice!

enjoyed good playin bro default/big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down