Page 1 of 1
How often should I be changing my strings?
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2026 6:43 pm
by UKPete24
Hey everyone, I’ve been playing a few times a week for a while now, and I’m starting to wonder how often I should really be changing my strings. I’ve heard everything from once a week to once a month, and it’s all a bit confusing. I tend to sweat quite a bit when I play, and I’ve noticed my strings lose their brightness pretty quickly. I’m using standard uncoated strings right now, but I’ve seen some recommendations for coated ones that apparently last longer. Should I make the switch or just stick to changing them more frequently? What do you all think works best for you?
How often should I be changing my strings?
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:36 am
by GearNerd
Hey UKPete24, the general rule of thumb is to change your strings every 1-2 weeks if you’re playing regularly, especially if you sweat a lot. The sweat can really wear them down. Coated strings might be worth a try since they tend to last longer and resist sweat better, but they can feel a bit different under your fingers. If you prefer the uncoated feel, just keep an eye on their brightness and change them when they start sounding dull.
Re: How often should I be changing my strings?
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 9:03 am
by Olly
I used to play a lot and also found my fingers would sweat a lot. I found that I was having to change strings almost every week. Because I was young and money was very tight this led me to buy cheaper strings which I would imagine would have worsened the issue.
These days I am mainly playing acoustic guitar and I use some of the Elixr coated strings or the D'Addario XS and even though these are quite expensive strings, I do find that they last months even with quite regular playing.
So it might be worth giving them a go and see how they work out for you.
How often should I be changing my strings?
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 8:47 am
by BluesGuy
I totally get where you’re coming from. I used to change my strings every week when I was gigging a lot, but now I do it about every couple of weeks. It really depends on how often you play and how you like your tone. Coated strings are great for longevity, but I still love the sound of fresh, uncoated ones. Maybe try a set of coated ones for a change and see how you like them!
How often should I be changing my strings?
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 7:59 am
by StudioPro
Fresh strings do make a noticeable difference in tone and clarity so bear this in mind if you are planning to record. I’d recommend changing them before a session, but for practice, you could stretch that to 2-3 weeks, especially if you're using coated strings. Just keep an eye on the tone, and don’t hesitate to change them sooner if you notice they’re sounding off.
How often should I be changing my strings?
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 6:41 pm
by MetalPlayer
I’m all for changing strings regularly. If they’re losing brightness quickly, you’ll want to change them more often. I usually change mine every week or after a heavy practice session. Coated strings? Definitely give them a go, they can handle the high gain a bit better without getting all grimy.
How often should I be changing my strings?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 11:31 am
by Newbie
Thanks for the replies! Just to clarify, is it bad if I don’t change them often? Like, will I damage my guitar or something? I just want to make sure I’m doing it right.