Page 1 of 1

Fretboard Cleaning Dilemmas

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 6:33 pm
by Robguitaruk
Hey everyone, I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to clean my guitar’s fretboard. I’ve got a rosewood fretboard, and I’ve heard a few different methods thrown around. Some people swear by lemon oil, while others say it’s not the best for the wood. I’m a bit worried about damaging it, but it’s starting to look a bit grimy. What do you all use? Do you have any go-to products or techniques? Any tips would be appreciated as I want to keep my guitar in good shape!

Fretboard Cleaning Dilemmas

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2026 9:36 am
by sam54
I've got a rosewood fretboard too, and I usually just use a bit of lemon oil. It can help bring back the natural moisture of the wood, but I wouldn't go overboard with it. Just a small amount on a soft cloth works wonders without risking damage.

Fretboard Cleaning Dilemmas

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 8:53 am
by BluesGuy
I’ve been down the fretboard cleaning rabbit hole a few times! If it’s looking grimy, I'd suggest a clean with some oil, but make sure it's specifically meant for fretboards. I once used too much lemon oil and it made the wood a bit too shiny for my liking—just keep it simple. A bit of elbow grease can go a long way!

Fretboard Cleaning Dilemmas

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:05 am
by MetalPlayer
Lemon oil's alright, but I've heard some folks say it can dry out the wood over time if used too frequently. I prefer using a good fretboard conditioner that doesn’t leave a greasy residue. My ESP has a nice ebony fretboard, and it likes a good clean every now and then, especially after heavy gigging!

Fretboard Cleaning Dilemmas

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2026 8:24 pm
by UKPete24
Yeah, I think it really depends on how often you play and how much sweat gets on the fretboard. I usually just wipe mine down with a dry cloth after each session to keep it clean. If it needs a deeper clean, I go for a proper conditioner. It’s about finding that balance!