Topic: Hard tailing a Floyd Rose

I love my ESP but the Floyd rose was driving me mad. So I had spent ages on google, and ordered a part called a Tremel-No - this instructions said if you could change a set of strings you should be able to install this, but when I got it it looked horribly complicated to install so sent it back.

Googled some more, and then decided to take the back off and insert a block of wood (free!) to stop the floyd rose from moving. 

It worked! And I can now play the ESP without the locking nuts on, and it stays in tune perfectly, so now I can go to drop D without having t get out a set of Allen keys - yeah!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Hard tailing a Floyd Rose

Well done i too found the floyyd a pain.

Imagine if the words of Imagine ever came true.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 (edited by polyal 26-06-11 12:48:26)

Apache wrote:

take the back off and insert a block of wood (free!) to stop the floyd rose from moving. 

defo ..if you,ve got a floyd and dont use the trem then stabilise it with blocks of wood to
stop it moving....perfect tuning in an instant using the floyd thumb screws...if you do use the
locking nut it'll only go out of tune with temp change..but can be quickly retuned using the
screws.. tuning up or down..  the locking nut is optional though

a guitar should never be tuned ' down ' period ( unless its via the floyd ) ..if its sharp tune below pitch ..pull out the slack..
and tune up to correct pitch..if this is not done ..the string will go flat once you bend it..pull
out the slack by pulling the string of the fretboard...as hard as you dare...without breaking it
pull the string till it ceases to go flat... ( esp with new strings ) you will find your tuning
will be a lot more stable after going through this procedure

its worth checking out the earvana compensated nut esp if you use a plain 'G' and use a
lot of chords http://www.earvana.com/technology.htm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mine goes in and out of tune according to how warm the room is  default/sad

Looking for a new guitar that suits your needs? Support your local guitar shop while its still in business!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yeh..so when gigging its best to check the tuning just before the first session so the
strings have acquired the temp of the venue your'e playing in ( at ). if you've done a gig
in a sweaty club then the next gig outdoors the guit will need tuning down a bit usually
(metal expansion and retraction)remember your physics lessons.wood bending etc might
contribute also....the joys of being a keyboard player eh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks - I'm really pleased that I did it, just wish I'd thought of that before I;d gone out and bought the schecter, could have saved myself some money  default/hmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down