Topic: Hello! Bryce Alexander here

Just joined the forum. I've been playing guitar for over 10 years and mainly like to play electrics. Use a Marshall Valvestate amp that I bought a long time ago and has served me well. Favourite guitarist has got to be Vai. I'm really into my electronic music as well and music software. I am presently trying to make a living in this area. I have spent a lot of the last ten years researching perfect pitch and how best to learn it. I have learnt it myself, although it took me a number of years to do so. It's a bit of a controversial subject but I'm up for a discussion about it with anyone on the forum. The results of my own research can be seen on my website, if anyone is interested.

Re: Hello! Bryce Alexander here

Hi Welcome to the forum

I am a big fan of Vai also. I went to a G3 concert before to mainly see Satriani though Vai's set blew me away!

Learning perfect pitch must have taken a large investment of time to master - do you beleive it has improved your playing/composition? What advantage does this have over relative pitch in your opinion?

Again welcome and look forward to hearing your response

I'd say the main advantage is in the enjoyment of playing and listening to music, which then leads to improvement in my composition and imrov skills. Sometimes, I think you need to see music in the context of structure and intervals so there is no replacement for relative pitch. To me, relative pitch relates more to the academic side of music. When it comes to perfect pitch, I try not to be academic about it, I just enjoy it, it is more to do with the pure art of music. I can throw all the music theory I know out the window and compose in a more instinctive way, then I would make use of perfect pitch more than relative pitch. Having said that, there is a great deal of material on my website about the scientific (academic) theory of perfect pitch, but that's from the engineer side of me, not the musician.

Great stuff - I will check out your site