Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Relaxed discussion about music, musicianship, practice routines, inspiration and general music chat. Talk about anything music related.
Post Reply
User avatar
GrapeCrusher
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2026 1:16 pm

Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Post by GrapeCrusher »

Hey everyone,

I've been playing guitar for a few years now, mostly by ear and using tabs, but I've recently realised that I’m missing out on a lot by not being able to read sheet music. I want to improve my skills and dive deeper into music theory, but honestly, the idea of learning to read music feels a bit overwhelming.

Has anyone here been through this process? Any tips on how to get started? I’d love to hear about your experiences and maybe some resources that helped you along the way. Also, is it better to learn on a classical guitar or will any guitar do? Cheers!
User avatar
Chrisguitar
I'm rocking
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2026 7:23 pm

Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Post by Chrisguitar »

I also learned mostly by ear before diving into sheet music. It can be a bit daunting at first, but I found starting with simple pieces really helped. Maybe try some basic songs that you already know and love, and gradually work your way up from there!
User avatar
JamesP
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2026 7:29 pm

Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Post by JamesP »

Hey mate, I’m in the same boat as you! I started learning to read sheet music a while back, and honestly, it did wonders for my understanding of music theory. I’d recommend using online resources like YouTube tutorials or apps designed for learning music notation. It’s a bit easier and less overwhelming that way!
User avatar
sam54
Guitar hero
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2026 8:37 am

Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Post by sam54 »

I can relate to your struggle. I picked up reading music a few years ago, and for me, it was all about consistency. Spend a little time each day just practising reading. You don’t necessarily need a classical guitar; any guitar will do just fine. Just focus on getting the basics down!
User avatar
BluesGuy
Guitar Legend
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2026 5:26 pm

Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Post by BluesGuy »

I think learning to read sheet music can really enhance your playing, but it’s important to keep it fun. Maybe try not to stress about it too much; just take it one step at a time. If you enjoy blues, look for sheet music for some classic blues tunes. It'll make the learning process more enjoyable!
User avatar
Leeacoustic81
I'm rocking
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:31 am

Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Post by Leeacoustic81 »

I remember when I started learning to read music; it felt a bit like learning a new language at times! I found it really helpful to pair the sheet music with the songs I already knew. You might want to try transcribing some of your favourite songs — it'll help you see the connection between what you can already play and the written music.
User avatar
MetalPlayer
Guitar Legend
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2026 5:49 pm

Struggling with Sheet Music - Any Tips?

Post by MetalPlayer »

I hear you on the whole sheet music thing! I’m more of a tabs guy myself, but I do think it’s worth giving sheet music a go. It can really help with timing and understanding the structure of songs. And hey, you might even find some badass metal sheet music to dive into — just keep it exciting!
Post Reply