Tips for Setting Up My Guitar for Recording

Home studio setup, recording guitars, mixing techniques, microphones, audio interfaces, DAWs and production workflows.
Post Reply
User avatar
Daniel_uk
Guitar hero
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:31 am

Tips for Setting Up My Guitar for Recording

Post by Daniel_uk »

Hey everyone! I'm getting ready to record some tracks at home and I could use a bit of guidance. I’ve got a decent interface and decent mics, but I’m not quite sure about the best way to set everything up for my electric guitar. Should I mic my amp, or is it better to go DI? Also, what kind of settings do you use on your amp or pedals before recording? Any tips on getting that polished sound would be really appreciated. Cheers!
User avatar
ClairDeLune
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2026 8:44 am

Tips for Setting Up My Guitar for Recording

Post by ClairDeLune »

Hey Daniel! I usually prefer miking my amp for that authentic sound, but it really depends on your style. If you’re going for something more polished, a DI can work wonders too. Good luck with your recording!
User avatar
Daniel_uk
Guitar hero
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:31 am

Tips for Setting Up My Guitar for Recording

Post by Daniel_uk »

Thanks for the input, ClairDeLune! I’m leaning towards miking my amp as I love that natural tone, but I’ll keep the DI option in mind. What about EQ settings? I’ve heard cutting some mids can help, but I’m not sure how much to adjust.
User avatar
Daniel_uk
Guitar hero
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:31 am

Tips for Setting Up My Guitar for Recording

Post by Daniel_uk »

Great suggestions, Rob! I’ll definitely try blending both methods. I’ve also been thinking about my pedal settings—do you guys have any go-to pedals you think work best for recording?
User avatar
Daniel_uk
Guitar hero
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:31 am

Tips for Setting Up My Guitar for Recording

Post by Daniel_uk »

And if you’ve got any tips on mic placement, that would be brilliant too! I’ve read a bit about the 'off-axis' technique but haven’t tried it yet.
User avatar
Daniel_uk
Guitar hero
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:31 am

Tips for Setting Up My Guitar for Recording

Post by Daniel_uk »

Also, if anyone has ideas on post-processing to add that final touch, I’d love to hear about it. I’m still figuring out how to mix my guitar tracks properly!
Post Reply