Pickup Height Adjustment Dilemma
- Robguitaruk
- Guitar hero
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:30 am
Pickup Height Adjustment Dilemma
Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out the best pickup height for my Strat, and it's a bit of a minefield. I've read loads of conflicting advice online. Some say to set them close to the strings for more output and clarity, while others recommend lowering them a bit to avoid muddiness. I play a mix of blues and rock, and I want to get that sweet tone without sacrificing dynamics. How do you guys approach this? Is there a starting point you use, or do you just tweak it until it feels right? Any tips would be appreciated!
- ClairDeLune
- I'm rocking
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2026 8:44 am
Pickup Height Adjustment Dilemma
I think it really depends on your playing style! A good starting point is about 2mm for the neck pickup and 3mm for the bridge. But honestly, you might just want to experiment a bit to see what suits you best!
- Robguitaruk
- Guitar hero
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:30 am
Pickup Height Adjustment Dilemma
I totally agree with ClairDeLune! I usually start with those measurements, but I tweak them based on how they sound with my amp. If I want a bit more punch, I might raise the bridge pickup a tad.
- ClairDeLune
- I'm rocking
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2026 8:44 am
Pickup Height Adjustment Dilemma
Exactly! It’s all about finding that sweet spot. I've also found that different guitars and pickups react differently, so trust your ears!
- Robguitaruk
- Guitar hero
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:30 am
Pickup Height Adjustment Dilemma
For sure! Sometimes I find that the bridge can sound too bright if it’s too close, especially with humbuckers. A little bit of distance can warm it up nicely. What pickups are you using, Rob?