Setting Up Action on My Acoustic – Need Advice!

Guitar setup guides, repairs, restringing, pickup upgrades, electronics troubleshooting and instrument maintenance tips.
Post Reply
User avatar
JamesP
I'm rocking
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2026 7:29 pm

Setting Up Action on My Acoustic – Need Advice!

Post by JamesP »

Hey everyone,

I’ve recently started getting serious about playing my acoustic guitar and I’m trying to figure out the best action height for my setup. I’ve read that it can really affect how comfortable it is to play, particularly for fingerpicking versus strumming.

Right now, I feel like my action is a bit high, which makes it harder to play fast runs and some of the fingerstyle pieces I’m working on. But I’m also a bit worried that if I lower it too much, I’ll start getting fret buzz.

How do you all approach this? Do you find it’s more personal preference, or are there general guidelines you follow? Also, what do you do if you find the action is too high or low after you've set it up?

Cheers!
User avatar
Markw72
Guitar hero
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:29 am

Setting Up Action on My Acoustic – Need Advice!

Post by Markw72 »

Hi JamesP, setting up action on an acoustic can definitely be a bit of a balancing act. Generally, I’d suggest starting with action heights of around 2.5mm at the 12th fret for the high E string and 3.0mm for the low E. That should give you a good balance between playability and preventing fret buzz. If you find it’s still too high, you can lower it gradually until you hit that sweet spot. Just make sure to check the neck relief as well; too much relief can also lead to high action. Good luck!
Post Reply