Struggling with Dynamics in My Playing

mprove guitar technique, speed, accuracy and playing confidence. Discuss practice exercises, fingerstyle, alternate picking, shredding, rhythm guitar techniques and skill development.
Post Reply
User avatar
Samson
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:33 am

Struggling with Dynamics in My Playing

Post by Samson »

Hey everyone, new here!, I’ve been playing guitar for a few years now, but I feel like I’m really missing something when it comes to dynamics. I watch other players and they seem to convey so much emotion just through their picking strength and volume control. I tend to play everything pretty consistently, and I’m not sure how to incorporate more dynamics without it sounding forced or awkward. Do you have any tips or techniques that have helped you add that expressive quality to your playing? Maybe some exercises or songs to practice with? Cheers!
User avatar
ClairDeLune
I'm rocking
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2026 8:44 am

Struggling with Dynamics in My Playing

Post by ClairDeLune »

Welcome to the forum, Samson! I totally get what you mean about dynamics. One thing that really helped me was just experimenting with different picking techniques. Try playing some pieces softly and then gradually building up the volume. It's amazing how much more expressive you can be!
User avatar
Daniel_uk
Guitar hero
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2026 8:31 am

Struggling with Dynamics in My Playing

Post by Daniel_uk »

Hi Samson! You’re definitely on the right track thinking about dynamics. One exercise that might be helpful is to practice scales or simple chords at different volumes. Start really soft, then gradually increase the volume and then decrease it again. It helps develop control, and you might find it becomes more natural over time. As for songs, try playing something like 'Blackbird' by The Beatles; it has a lovely dynamic range.
Post Reply